HomeHome  FAQFAQ  CalendarCalendar  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Squigglevision or fluid animation?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rat

PostSubject: Squigglevision or fluid animation?    Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:47 pm

Dr. Katz, Beavis and Butthead, and Home Movies are all popular examples of squigglevision. Home movies abandoned squigglevision in their second season because of the negative response of scattered criticism and cost to animate in this way. Frankly, I was appalled when they made the switch. What are your thoughts?

Bonus thought - Will Home Movies ever come back?

Even if Brendan really does officially abandon making movies, I would still like to see what stories continue in that setting with those characters.

Hafk
Post Tyrant
Post Tyrant

PostSubject: Re: Squigglevision or fluid animation?    Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:17 pm

Beavis and Butthead does not use Squigglevision. I'd say it is a more primitive version of what would be later used in King of the Hill. Beavis and Butthead just couldn't sit still, so that is why it is believed the show used Squigglevision. I always thought of Squigglevision as Dr. Katz's thing, and Home Movies needed its own identity.

Oh, and Squigglevision wasn't expensive to animate. With the supposed "Illusion of Motion" concept behind it, it cut down on animation frames by using oscillation to "squiggle" the lines. I will say though, Squigglevision allowed Home Moves and Dr. Katz to commit an animation sin, which is to use a certain colored object placed in front of a similar colored background. Very difficult in animation, although Squigglevision made those objects pop.

And Home Movies won't come back. It ended perfectly. The only way they could continue the series is if they went on without the movies (Home Movies without the Home Movies), spin-off show (eeeeehhhhhh), or retconned the finale (A slap in the face to fans, especially ones who enjoyed the ending) Not only that, but Brendon has Metalocalypse, Jon has his billion projects. Loren Bourchard is making his new shows, and Melissa, well, I don't know what she is up to anymore.

If you want to see a season 5 of Home Movies, you should look up Lucy, The Daughter of The Devil. Although Brendon wasn't involved, LTDotD featured Home Movies regulars, as well as Jon Glasser and Eugine Mirman. Great show that never got a chance.

Time out!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rat

PostSubject: Re: Squigglevision or fluid animation?    Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:24 pm

Melissa wanted to bring the show back. I remember reading some forum where she posted, asking people to mail Cartoon Network.

That was in 2004 or 2005, though.

Hafk
Post Tyrant
Post Tyrant

PostSubject: Re: Squigglevision or fluid animation?    Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:26 pm

Everyone wanted the show back. But they were happy that they were given another season to give it a proper finish. Especially considering that 2003-2005 was a very big transition period for the network.

What happened during that time? Family Guy reruns happened. Almost like how Dr. Katz was canceled as soon as South Park was made.

Time out!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Erasmus

PostSubject: Re: Squigglevision or fluid animation?    Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:25 am

to be fair.
south park was/still kind of is awesome.
the pure amount of content that matt stone and trey parker have produced is nothing short of amazing. that the show is still passable after so long is a miracle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=25629777103&am
Stell
Mmm-huum
Mmm-huum

PostSubject: Re: Squigglevision or fluid animation?    Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:08 pm

agree, i am disappointed that adult swim became the place for fox and comedy central's reruns, it used to be the greatest programming on television.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hafk
Post Tyrant
Post Tyrant

PostSubject: Re: Squigglevision or fluid animation?    Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:20 pm

Well, it has no Comedy Central reruns. Viacom holds on to their property like none other. They would never let a Turner network air one of their shows, even if they were not airing it themselves. (Which is a damn shame)

I was watching Space Ghost since I was nine years old. My parents didn't like me staying up late to watch it... but I did. I think I have a VHS tape of a Slash episode of SGC2C somewhere.

Time out!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stell
Mmm-huum
Mmm-huum

PostSubject: Re: Squigglevision or fluid animation?    Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:11 pm

where do you think they got family guy from, they pretty much traded futurama for family guy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hafk
Post Tyrant
Post Tyrant

PostSubject: Re: Squigglevision or fluid animation?    Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:38 pm

...No. Family Guy and Futurama were the foundation of the weeknight lineup (and then another 30 min comedy/two 15 minute comedy, then 90 minutes of Anime). Comedy Central bought the syndication rights for Futurama (And production rights too, which let them get exclusivity), and had way more money than Adult Swim. That is how Adult Swim lost Futurama. Then a year later, Adult Swim bought syndication rights for King of the Hill. If anything King of the Hill replaced Futurama. But Family Guy, Futurama, and King of the Hill are all FOX shows.

Time out!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rat

PostSubject: Re: Squigglevision or fluid animation?    Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:43 pm

In other words, Eric is nothing short of a God of knowledge.

Stell
Mmm-huum
Mmm-huum

PostSubject: Re: Squigglevision or fluid animation?    Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:20 am

ok, i might be mistaken, but i'm pretty sure i remember comedy central having family guy, while as had futurama, granted, they are both fox shows, but i don't remember adult swim having them both right before comedy central bought futurama. This is from memory, so you're prolly right, and i don't feel like doing any research, but that's just how i remember it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hafk
Post Tyrant
Post Tyrant

PostSubject: Re: Squigglevision or fluid animation?    Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:46 am

Believe me. I remember years ago watching a weeknight lineup that started at 10 pm and consisted of Family Guy, Futurama, Home Movies, Cowboy Bebop, and two other anime shows that I didn't care about.

Oh boy, that bring back memories. Anime on weeknights. Hah.

Time out!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stell
Mmm-huum
Mmm-huum

PostSubject: Re: Squigglevision or fluid animation?    Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:56 am

ok, i guess there were actually 1-2 years of overlap when they had both futurama and family guy, also, interesting link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Adult_Swim_programs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Squigglevision or fluid animation?    

Back to top Go down

Squigglevision or fluid animation?
Page 1 of 1