Tribal Grounds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The great laptop mystery.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rat
Rat

The great laptop mystery.  Empty
PostSubject: The great laptop mystery.    The great laptop mystery.  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 2:14 pm

So we have a very confusing policy when it comes to checking out laptops. First, we have everyone's name on record on the computer. The computer provides information on that person's name, such as what items are currently checked out to this person, their fines, their phone #, their address, etc. Secondly, everything in the library has a bar code, so when we want to check something out to someone, we scan the barcode and the person's ID card together to charge the item to their name.

Thirdly, we have a shelf that designates a number for each level, and the shelf is 10 levels high. We put laptops into those shelves and number the laptops with the respective number that they sit on the shelf; therefore, our laptops are numbered 1-10. Whenever someone checks out a laptop, we hold onto their card until they bring the laptop back. To keep track of the cards, we put a card on the shelf that matches the laptop that was checked out to that card.

On top of that, we also have a clipboard where people write their name, the time they checked out their laptop, the number of the laptop they have, and the time they checked it back in when they're done.

Ok.

Now here's the riddle.

Today, there was a shelf with no laptop or ID card inside. It was laptop #3. I checked the clipboard - it states that "Patrick M" checked out computer #3 and has not yet turned it in. When I looked up "Patrick M" on the computer, it stated that Patrick M has no library items checked out to him.

So where is the laptop? And where is the ID card?

My theory is that Patrick M came back here when no one was looking, took a laptop, signed his name on the clipboard, and never left his card or checked out the laptop. Perhaps he is simply confused with how the laptops work.

Another theory would be that Patrick M doesn't have the laptop at all, but he did check it out before, and when he turned it in, he forgot to sign his name out. Then someone just stole the laptop. Anyway, what do you think?
Back to top Go down

The great laptop mystery.
Page 1 of 1