Tribal Grounds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Who's Your Favorite Pointman?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Erasmus
Erasmus

Who's Your Favorite Pointman? Empty
PostSubject: Who's Your Favorite Pointman?   Who's Your Favorite Pointman? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 9:59 pm

Every FPS has that "Pointman", or the man you take control of for the entirety of the game. Now, in an FPS, the pointman isn't necessarily something you'd think people would connect with like they would with say an rpg or a third person action game- but over the years some of the strongest video game icons have been FPS pointmen.
So, who's your favorite pointman, and why?
I'll list a few of my own personal favorites just to get us started.
Parker- Red Faction- Readin the character bio and then picking up from the game's context clues, you begin to understand that Parker isn't the average miner. He's a crusader, a liberal minded, well off man who was bound for ivy league school when he rebelled and joined Ultor for the sake of doing something his parents didn't expect. He was cocky, high minded, but capable, and throughout the game we got to see him go from miner to hero of a rebellion.
The Marine- Every Doom Game Ever- I don't know what it is about the silent marine in Doom that is so...intriguing. Maybe it is his sullen demeanor and the badass way he grits his teeth in the hud picture every time you take a hit or how he smiles wickedly when you get your hands on a wicked sweet gun. Either way, the marine is the ultimate badass. B.J. and Duke may come close, but in the end, there is only one true badass.
Sam- Serious Sam- speaking of badasses...well, there's serious sam. Part Duke Nukem, Part Marine, Part...Serious? Some of the quotes that come from this character are just absurd...everything from singing "I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay!" to "It's time to get serious!". Granted- you don't feel like a badass while playing as Sam...you just kind of feel like a regular ass- but considering the odds this man overcomes time and time again- maybe his one liners are warranted. SAM I AM.
Dimitri- World at War- Playing as a hero is always fun- but when that hero is the symbol of the red army- its damn fascinating- especially when Gary Oldman is continually screaming at you to fire the panzershrek.
Nathan hale- Resistance- What's shocking about Hale is that you like him as much as you do. In the first game...he falls to the wayside of silent fps protagonists. In the second game, however, he manages to become something much bigger. When the game ends with you becoming something of a god, well, that's just solid character development.

Just for kicks- my top ten favorite fps' of all time-
1. Red Faction
2. Unreal Tournament
3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
4. Doom 3
5. Half-Life
6. Counter-Strike: Source
7. Halo 2
8. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
9. Goldeneye
10.Timesplitters 2

Honorable mentions: Resistance 2, Serious Sam, Star Wars: Dark Forces 2, Killzone 2, ODST, Black, Farcry, Wolfenstein 3D, Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, Area 51, Bioshock, Duke Nukem, Star Trek: Elite Force, Turok 2, Quake 3, Portal, FEAR

albino albino albino albino albino albino albino albino albino albino
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=25629777103&am
Erasmus
Erasmus

PostSubject: Re: Who's Your Favorite Pointman?   Who's Your Favorite Pointman? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 10:49 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr_ST85J-UM

serious sam. who else calls the boss from a phonebooth on every level to tell him he's gonna kick his ass.
Back to top Go down
NostalgiCK
Guess who?
Guess who?
NostalgiCK

PostSubject: Re: Who's Your Favorite Pointman?   Who's Your Favorite Pointman? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 1:00 pm

Serious Sam is definitely one of my favorites, both for the protagonist and the gameplay.

Portal ranks pretty high as well because I actually felt like I was the protagonist.

I really liked the Arbiter from Halo 2, probably because I could see his face and he actually had a back story.

Despite my utter disgust with Rico and 99% of the dialogue in Killzone 2, I found myself liking Sev quite a lot by the end of the game. It's very unfortunate that he always has to travel with an idiot. I hadn't been a fan of the story until the last fourth of the game or so; the run on the palace and the fight with Radec really drew me in. Sev finally got a great scene at the end when he just walked out of the palace without saying a word and calmly sat on the palace steps as hundreds of Helghast warships flew in. I hope he has a much more vocal role in the next game.

I know not many people played the Goldeneye game for the Gamecube, but I did and it was my Halo 2 until we got an XBOX. And it was great. It had duel-wielding. It had weapons that could shoot through walls or vaporize enemies in one hit. But the greatest part of it was the eye, which let you see through things, turn invisible, activate machines from far away, and so on. And the Goldeneye character was a badass. I will always love the opening sequence when you see Bond die in a helicopter crash.

I know Metal Arms: Glitch in the System is a 3rd-person shooter, but it's still one of my favorite games of all time and Glitch himself is a great character.

The Medal of Honor games deserve an honorable mention as well. I'll never forget the opening sequence of Frontline as you feebly march your way up the hill on D-day.

Finally, I think I'm gonna have to give the gold to Garrett from the Thief games. Garrett is a smug, sly, arrogant, uncaring, witty, droll, loner in a steampunk world. Somehow he always gets caught in the middle of the world's affairs and ends up saving it despite his best efforts to not give a Poos. Garrett is not particularly fast or strong (a few good hits from almost anyone will spell doom for him) but what he excels at is stealth. He can turn practically invisible by standing still in the shadows. And his backstabs can take on even the toughest enemies. He also has a variety of magic arrows and gadgets at his disposal. Garrett is just one of the most unique characters I've ever had the joy of playing in a game. I can't wait for Thief 4.
Back to top Go down
http://burntham.spaces.live.com/default.aspx
Erasmus
Erasmus

PostSubject: Re: Who's Your Favorite Pointman?   Who's Your Favorite Pointman? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 4:38 am

lol no one mentions Deus X: Invisible Wars
Back to top Go down
NostalgiCK
Guess who?
Guess who?
NostalgiCK

PostSubject: Re: Who's Your Favorite Pointman?   Who's Your Favorite Pointman? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 9:21 am

haha that's sad. I probably would have mentioned those games...if I had played them.
The new Deux Ex trailer is amazing though
Back to top Go down
http://burntham.spaces.live.com/default.aspx
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who's Your Favorite Pointman?   Who's Your Favorite Pointman? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who's Your Favorite Pointman?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tribal Grounds :: Media :: Games-
Jump to: